Monday, July 18, 2005

Diggin' in the Past

I'm performing a long-overdue style of cleaning known as throw-out-crap-that-no-longer-has-any-real-meaning. While doing this, I stumbled across a little pocket-sized spiral bound notebook full of old phone numbers and long-since-changed email addresses. But there was a nice piece of history tucked away within its little ruled pages: the set-list of a concert put on by The Who at what was then known as Irvine Meadows, an outdoor venue in Irvine, California. The show took place on my birthday and was a year or two before bassist John Entwistle passed away. The show went like this:



Can't Explain

Substitute

Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere

I Don't Even Know Myself

My Wife

Baba O'Reilly

Bargain

Drowned

Relay

Pinball Wizard

The Real Me

Who Are You?

Magic Bus

Behind Blue Eyes

You Better You Bet

5:15

Won't Get Fooled Again

(show ended at 11:15pm)
----------------------

(encore began 11:20pm)

The Kids Are Alright

Let's See Action

My Generation

(encore ended at 11:45pm)

That was a truly memorable show, and was the last time I was to experience the thundering bass and stoic presence of the incomparable John Entwistle. Thank you for many years of great music John. I feel blessed to have had the pleasure of seeing you perform several times, live in concert. You were one-of-a-kind and your talent is sorely missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home